Thursday, May 7, 2015

Celiac Tribute to my HESA Family



Two years ago I started my journey towards earning a Master's degree. In less than 24 hours I will be crossing the stage with 45 amazing individuals. This post is not only a "Thank You" to my HESA family, but also a Celiac confession.

 During our Welcome Month in August of 2013, I remember having a Celiac pitty party. It seemed like all of the events revolved around food, and I just didn't want to be "that girl." I use the saying "that girl" based on a youtube video that I watched during the first year of my diagnosis. You can check it out HERE. It talks about the stigma and labels people place on Celiacs, and how it makes us feel. More than anything it shows that we really do not like being "that girl." I highly recommend checking it out, it kind of shows all the feelings I feel on the daily basis. When starting my HESA journey I did not want my class to think of me as a picky eater, high maintenance, snobby, etc. I wanted them to like me and to just fit in on this brand new journey. You would think as a 22 year old adult I would have been over the whole fitting in phase. What is this high school? 

On a night that I was talking to my mom, and complaining about my celiac disease, she reminded me that this was an oppotunity for me to educate all of my new peers, instead of running away from the opportunity and social engagements.

So "THANK YOU" USC HESA Class of 2015. I know it must get old listening to my Gluten Free rants and request, but I really appreciate you taking the time to listen. You may not realize it but you have helped me come to terms with this disease during these past two years. When I first started here I was still grieving with my past life. Some of the friends I have made in the Celiac Community even called me a "Celiac Baby" due to the fact I was still healing from the emotions that my new lifestyle brought me. However, during these past two years you have shown me patience and kindness with learning about this disease, and I am truly grateful. Even though my diet excludes a lot of food items, you have went out of your way to make me feel included even if I could not indulge in the food aspect of our social gatherings. You have even been willing to try some of my gluten free alternatives like Mac n' Cheese and my Rice Krispee treats, and have even tried to make gluten free items yourself for me to try. Words can never really describe how thankful I am for all of you.

To the USC HESA Class of 2016, I hope you uphold the traditions that we have started implementing at GARP and Orientation. Like letting those with dietary restrictions get their food first and having ingredients listed on food items. I firmly believe it sets our program apart and shows just how family orientated we are at Carolina.


All of my love and appreciation for the whole USC HESA family. I am excited to see where we all end up. Who knows you might meet a student with Celiac Disease in your new role, and you will know how to help!

Always, 

- Jodie


If you have any questions for the blog please submit them HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment